Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kiss, Kiss.

Hey guys! This is a post on getting soft kissable lips and the perfect red pout, with a little bonus jonas product review on Victoria's Secret "VS Pro Smooth FX Lip Scrub & Balm".

Everyone gets dry lips, and it's no secret that applying lip color on top of dry, cracked lips can be, well, disasterous. Today I will offer a trick on conditioning your lips with products you probably already have at home, as well as a review on my new favorite lip scrub/balm combo. Also, I will go over some quick & simple steps on how to achieve that perfect red lip that everyone seems to be rockin' these days.

Conditioning Your Lips:
When my lips are feeling dry, or I just want that extra, kissably-soft feeling, I go ahead and condition my lips (usually at bedtime if it's not needed before applying my lip color). A popular way to get soft lips is to exfoliate with vaseline.
  1. Coat lips with a generous amount of vaseline.
  2. Using a toothbrush (not one that you use to brush your teeth with!) gently rub your lips in small circles to work the vaseline in and remove dead skin. Do this for 30-60 seconds and then tissue off the excess vaseline--leaving just a little sheen of vaseline on your lips that will continue to sink in. Do this 1-2 a week, depending on the condition of your lips.
Over the holidays I received a Victoria's Secret gift card (always a good way to go!) and I decided to check out some of their new professional beauty products...that's when I cam across this next little gem that I adore and definitely reccomend you pick up: the VS Pro Smooth FX Lip Scrub & Balm! This is what I use to condition my lips.
Smooth FX:
The container (8g/.635oz) contains 2 products (see pic below)--mainly a lip sugar based lip scrub with a flip-up compartment on top containing the lip balm. It costs about $14. What you do is this:
  1. Massage the scrub onto your lips for about 30 seconds, the tissue the gritty leftovers off.
  2. Finish off with a light layer of the balm.
It's that simple!
This product makes your lips feel so soft; I was definitely pleasantly surprised with the results. You can go around with your lips soft & kissable as is, or apply lip color for a different look!

The Perfect Pout:
How to get those perfectly luscious red lips (or any color lip you choose!).
  1. If you haven't just exfoliated/conditioned your lips, I reccomend applying a coat of lip balm and let it sink in before applying any color. My favorite keep-on-hand balm is "Nivea's a Kiss of Smoothness Hydrating Lip Care SPF 4".
  2. To add some depth & definition to my lips I select a lip liner close to the natural shade of my lips (or one matching the lip color you're using to add extra depth). First line your lips with the liner, then take the pencil and actually fill in your lips with the liner.
  3. Take the lipstick you'll be working with (red, pink, mauve, whatever...) and apply to your lips. Apply with a lip brush for a more precise application.
  4. Smack your lips together, don't rub them (by "smack" I mean to tightly press your lips together & then release--you'll hear the "smack" sound when doing so).
  5. Next, blot the lipstick off your lips (don't wipe it off)...just use a tissue.
  6. Now, reapply the lipstick again. I know it may seem odd to put on lipstick & wipe it off just to put on more, but blotting between layers actually helps the lipstick last.
  7. This is an optional step--if you want to apply a gloss for a little bit of shine you can go ahead and do that now. Otherwise, just rock them matte and beautiful!


Tip: If you rock bold lips, stick with a neutral eye so you don't look too overdone--unless you're going for that glam bombshell look!
XOXO,
Jacqueline


VS Pro Smooth FX Lip Scrub & Balm

No comments:

Post a Comment