Monday, December 16, 2013

Birchbox: More Good

Keeping this short and sweet, as I am finding myself in the middle of all the holiday frenzy (despite thinking for once the Permanent Roommate and I had all gifts on lock down before Thanksgiving). Here's my open box review & thoughts on the November Birchbox, titled "More Good", featuring some of BB's most favorite charitable beauty brands.
The Contents

Here we go...
*Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil
I also love a good face highlighter/illuminator, so I was excited to try this one since it comes in a pencil, and I am more accustomed to using something more liquid or powder based. This one is described as great for contouring and brightening the face. Well, I don't "contour" with my highlighter so I feel the word play was a little off there. The color looks really pretty but I found after application (check out the swatch below), it was really heavy as far as highlight products go, and had more of a matte finish than I typically like. I also felt it was hard to blend and you really had to work the product. So, unfortunately this wasn't a "knocked-it-out-of-the-park" product for me, but, hey, to each his own. And if you were wondering, full-size is $18, so I feel you can get more for your money elsewhere.
Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil

*Color Club Nail Polish (shade: Dark'n Stormy)
Color Club pops up quite frequently in BB. Two coats is usually all you need to achieve the color as seen in the bottle. Full size is $8, so it's comparable retail speaking to OPI, Essie and the like. The colors they send are usually on trend and this one is a steel-gray color with a metallic sheen. Visit their website for more information and color selection. (I'm an Essie/OPI gal, but CC does offer a few shades that aren't so run of the mill).

*derma e Soothing Skincare Collection
I've never heard of this brand before. I prefer Origins, Kiehls or whatever my dermatologist recommends. This line, however, is all-natural and is advertised to calm sensitive skin while fighting signs of aging. You start with the cleanser, and then follow up with the serum and moisturizing creme. So, if it is a product you like, the trio includes all steps for a routine skin regimen, and can be used by all skin types. The cleanser contains the anti-aging Pycnogenol and green tea, as well as antioxidant agents such as chamomile and lemongrass. The serum helps to reduce redness, calm irritation, diminish blotchiness and relieve skin discomfort. It also contains Pycnogenol, as well as a complex botanical blend, including Canadian Willowherb, Olive, Arnica and Calendula. Finally, the moisturizing creme also containing Pycnogenol (catching the trend here??), and vitamins A, C & E to promote a smooth, healthy complexion. One thing I for sure already love about this brand (derma e) is that is's paraben free, eco-friendly and (my favorite thing) cruelty free!! Visit their website at www.dermae.com or call 1-800-933-9344 to request their full catalog of products. Full size products range anywhere from $15.50-$29.95.

*Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy Noir
Juicy Couture is another BB favorite. This scent is a take on Juicy's original fragrance, with notes of berry and honeysuckle. It smells lovely, but I can't help but to say that a stronger note of amber might lend more towards the "noir" name. :)

*Mox Botanicals Coconut & Vanilla Bean Bath Milks
Mox is also a new brand to me, but I was happy to try these guys out. If you know me personally, you know sea salt caramel is my jam, and this vanilla blend bath milk, albeit there's no caramel, mixed with the sea salt is amazing.You can let the bath salts ("milk") steep in a hot bath before you can get it (they come in a tea bad like pouch) or you can put them directly in the tub before you climb it. Regardless I dig Mox right now (if you love brands like Lush, you most likely will too!!) A 2-pack of bath milks is $12. Mox is based out of Portland, Oregon so make sure you check them out to see everything they offer!!

*Birchbox Bonus Jonas: a full size Ghiradelli chocolate bar. The one I received was a milk-chocolate and mint cookie feeling. Hello delicious and thank you Birchbox.

Hope everyone is enjoying the start of their week. Personally my Sunday was freakin' amazing and blog worthy (I had the opportunity to watch The 1975 perform a special acoustic set like they've literally never performed before audience before, and got to meet the guys afterwards. Can we say SMITTEN?!! There's photos and a video clip on my Instagram: jacquelinecxo).
XO, 
J <3.

No comments:

Post a Comment