Thursday, December 12, 2013

Raise Awareness: Mesothelioma

Well, it's Decemeber. November went out with it's seasonal gusto. This time of year is always hard for me as I know that the anniversary of my dad's passing approaches; it will be 3 years on January 1. But this holiday season was met with even more of a sullen attitude as my grandmother passed on November 10, just a little over a month ago. Being without my best friend and prayer warrior is making this a particularly difficult season to celebrate with all the dazzle and flair one may expect in these weeks. I'm perhaps feeling more thankful than usual, and want to encourage others to really consider the holidays as a time to give back. There are so many amazingly wonderful causes I support and that many of you support year round. I want to address one in particular today: the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance. Last month was Lung Cancer Awareness month, but really awareness is not confined to one month, as I have in past blogs mentioned when talking about my journey with Melanoma Skin Cancer. I want to talk about Mesothelioma because all of my grandparents were at some point affected by asbestos, and I'm sure everyone out there knows someone also affected. Did you know, however, that this is one disease that is 100% preventable??

Emily from the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance was helpful and kind enough to provide me with some facts that may surprise you. For starters, did you know that asbestos is still not banned in the United States?? Roughly 30 million (yes, million) pounds are still used every year. Think of all the contact our loved ones may make with this carcinogenic source, and how it could be prevented. Yes, again, this cancer is preventable under ideal circumstances. Asbestos fibers are invisible to the naked eye, so the best bet against exposure is for overall banned usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment